You have finished your SIA Training. Check. You have successfully applied for your SIA Licence. Check. You have used the SIA Licence Hub Jobs Board and found some security jobs you wish to apply for. Check. You’ve sent off your CV and well done, you have been asked for an interview.
Now its time to prepare for that interview. Wouldn’t it be great to have an idea of what sort of questions will be asked?
Well below we give you an idea of the interview style and the kind of questions you should expect.
Security Guard Job Interview Questions
- Describe to me a time in a previous security role, where you had to work as part of a team to solve a problem. (If you have no security experience, you can describe an incident from any previous job role).
- Describe a time in the past where you have had to deal with an assault. What was your role in the situation and how did you handle it? Looking back on the incident, is there anything you would have done differently?
- Describe to me a time when you dealt with an angry member of the public, using only your words rather than any kind of physical force. What was the outcome?
- Tell me about a time while working you felt as if you could be in physical danger. What did you do in this situation?
- How computer literate would you say you are? What computer programs do you use regularly?
- What CPR/First Aid/AED qualifications do you have?
- If while on the job you discovered that a fellow security guard was accessing information he shouldn’t what would you do? Alternatively, what would you do if you felt that the information wasn’t important?
- Scenario Examples: (These can be asked in many different ways) – Imagine you are alone on the front desk at night time and 5 people are waiting to be checked in. You have been called to an emergency on the 12th floor of the building. What would you do in this situation?
- Imagine you are working a very busy event and the crowd has begun to rowdy and semi out of control. Describe to me the steps you would take to stop the event from becoming chaotic and dangerous?
- I am going to show you 2 photographs for 5 seconds. Once I remove them, please describe the people in the photographs.
These questions give you an idea of the kind of things you will be asked once you have your SIA licence and you begin looking for work.
As well as these, you can be expected to answer standard interview questions about your employment history, the type of SIA training you have done, how long you have had your licence, and those annoying questions about your strengths and weaknesses, goals and plans etc.
There are countless online guides about these types of interview question techniques. However, get your head around the list of questions above, and prepare yourself for this style of interview and you will be in your next security guard job in no time.
« Top 5 CCTV Surveillance Signals – How to tune into incidents The New SIA Licence for Private Investigators »